Sunday, June 10, 2007

Final session at the MGM Grand

After getting up in the morning, we checked our luggage at the MGM Grand so we can make a quick getaway to the airport. A quick bite to eat then it's to the cardroom. I sat patiently and folded a bunch of really truly bad hands. Seems like I had a duck in every other hand. The big blind was very kind to me though. I flopped top two pair twice, nut straight once, top pair 2nd kicker once, all from the big blind. Big blind specials indeed. Each time, I took down the pot without a struggle. Unfortunately, in early position as the BB, I had to act first and didn't get any action after I protected my hands from draws.

I call a raise with AsJs. Flop is J88 two clubs. Seat 5 bets, I think of raising since I think he has a weaker Jack but instead decide to call. Seat 3 calls behind me. Q on the turn, Seat 5 leads again and I call again assuming that we both have Jacks and mine is better or at worst tied. Seat 3 smooth calls. River is a blank. Seat 5 checks, I check, Seat 3 now bets out for 20. Hmmmmmm. I had him on the club flush but now he's betting. Could he have been slow playing an 8? Sure didn't seem so. Seat 3 calls and I tell myself that I'll see the showdown anyway so why call? But I call anyway and Seat 3 shows 9T for the open ender on the flop and I contributed to his getting pot odds to draw. Should have popped on the flop.

Later I see a flop with ATos. Flop comes T high. Seat 4 leads for 10. I bump to 25. He mulls it over then mucks. I show him my hand to confirm his intuition that he was behind. He appreciates it and does the "good hand" table rap.

Jeh and I are wrapping things up and agree to do a couple more orbits. I'm successfully avoiding the "-itis" and folding bad and even marginal hands. We are on the last orbit and Jeh calls UTG. I pick up my best hand of the day, pocket Jacks. I raise to 15. New guy in Seat 9 calls. Everyone else who has been paying any attention whatsoever gets out of the way. Flop comes T 9 rag. I lead for 25 and Seat 9 makes an emphatic stack slamming all in. Action is back to me and I'm confused. It seems so pre-meditated that I consider that he also has an overpair and was waiting for no Ace to hit and for the board to come below his pair. But then I think AA or KK would likely have re-raised unless he's being sneaky with them. I also consider a T9 two pair or a set. I am in the tank and I apologize to the table. I get reassurance to take as long as I need. I partly feel obligated to the table to give them a showdown after taking so much time and in the end I really can't take credit for making anything other than an "-itis" shrug call and match the 70 or so he raised me. He flips AT for top/top and I show my overpair. The dealer flips the Turn and she throws a dagger my way when an Ace hits the felt. Audible suck-out-gasps from the table and I can't catch my two outer to regain the lead. Dealer apologizes to me and I say it's OK because "I'm sure the other player will give her a big tip for that hand." I forego the option to play the remaining couple hands and go to cash out. I break convention and tip the cashier even though I didn't end up for the session and take home 25 of my original buy in of 200. And so ends poker for this trip.

2 comments:

royalbacon said...

Thanks for the fine fine reading.

jtrey333 said...

What Martin fails to mention is that, even with that not-so-blatant hint to tip the dealer, the guy didn't tip the dealer...