Wednesday, July 4, 2007

And this is how we fold our cards

Sit down at Caesars for some 1/3. I basically see nothing for hours. Low this and offsuit that and six gappers or worse. I am able to limp into some pots with medium pairs that don't hit. I end up in the big blind with Q9 suited. Flop is low and paired. Checked around. Turn is a 9 and I check/call 15 for some reason. River is a T and we check it down. I am notched by K9. Fold fold fold and fold some more. Then after a while I fold more cards. Then I run into a hand where it limps around and a the guy ahead of me makes it 25 to go to clear out the field. I look down and I see Jacks. By far my best hand of the night. I sit and pause and I can tell that I have his attention because he has been on my right for a couple of hours so he knows how tight I am playing. I mull it over and remind myself that just because it is my best hand for the night doesn't mean that it is the best hand for this deal. I decide that if I play these then it is going to be a pre-flop push. I could not just call. But by now I have taken so long thinking that I have passed the Aces or Kings insta-push. If he has AK and he puts me on Queens or lower he is priced in to a coin flip. I end up mucking them. Did I mention that I folded everything? And just because the guy in seat 4 sits down with 100 and raises to 20, gets put all in and insta-calls with Kings dominating the Nines of the guy who put him in, then doubles up first hand, no big deal. Then he gets Aces two hands later and takes down another pot...but who's counting? Doesn't matter. I'm playing good poker and just not getting cards. No AK, AQ, AJ, or AT. No Ax suited. No suited connectors. No big pairs except for the Jacks that I mucked. I know that I have five tons of fold equity built up but I am reluctant to try a steal because the player to my left with a dozen stacks and a wad of hundreds has been calling just about every raise 25 or lower and being aggressive post-flop. And since he's sitting on my left, I can't even try to avoid pots with him in it. So after I blind off a stack of chips, I decide it is time to hang it up for the night. I stop by the Bellagio to trade in some more supplies and then stop by NYNY for a smoothie and a pretzel. Head back to the room and write up the night's events. We'll try again tomorrow and try to get on a heater...or at least get some more folding in.

1 comment:

Marshall said...

hey dude stay patient and hang in there. Keep the blog going, I just got all caught up. Make sure you are keeping the details in the posts, you sorta lost me on a few hands. See you Thursday too man!