Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Running into the nutiest of nuts

Wake up from my nap around 5:30. Head back over to the MGM with my 171 left over from earlier in the day. The table is loose. I see a bet of 20 re-raised to 60 and called by what turns out to be 53 for bottom pair 3 kicker no draw except to the trips that he hits on the turn. A guy pushing all in with 27os after making the sucker end of the straight only to be insta-called by the might Q5os on the top end. I resolve that I am going to play a big pot and will get paid for it.

After about half an hour or so I limp UTG with AcTc. Seat 6 stares me down. I know that he knows how tight I've been playing. He raises to 15. I happily fold. I sent a small probe into the table and it did the job of collecting information.

I sit and fold hands for some more until it is time, time for the big hand. Seat 1 opens for 11. Another caller ahead of me and I pick up Jacks. I am playing for a set or better and flat call. One more caller behind me for about 45 in the pot. Flop comes black King, Jack of Diamonds, and a rag to complete the rainbow flop. I am first to act and am positive I will get a bet behind me so I check. Second check. Original raiser makes it 25. Folds to me. I announce raise. I want a call because I give him credit for a King and know he needs to catch some combination of runner-runner to pass me. He asks how much I have behind and I count out another 87. He calls my 40 raise. Turn is Qd. I would have preferred a blank or even a King. No matter. He is not so loose as to have called with just a gut shot so I figure myself for still ahead and push my remaining 87 in. He calls. Can you say worst River ever? The Ace of Diamonds peels off and he shows KdTd for a runner-runner Royal Flush. I inspect the board and announce "You're good." to the amusement of the table. I tell my end of the table that I have no problem losing to a Royal Flush. I decide to pack it up and try a different venue. As I am leaving the guy asks if his King was good. I refrain from asking him if he has been paying any attention whatsoever to the play for the past hour or two and tell him I had trip Jacks. I am digesting the hand as I am digesting another smoothie. My assessment was correct on the flop. Turn was horrible due to the 15 outs that it gave him but my 87 still denied him proper odds though I understand the allure of the OESFD and can't fault him for his call. Most of the deck still helps me going to the river and I will double up the majority of the time. Cards just didn't fall my way.

No comments: