Thursday, January 3, 2008

Down and up

Decided to buy in short this time and only came in for a hundred at the MGM. First hand I get involved in I have AsTs and flop the nut flush draw on a Q high board. I roughly pot it and get check called by the guy to my right. Turn is a blank and he checks again. The only reasonable draw is Spades so I figure I'll bet again to get him to go away and/or build the pot in case a Spade peels off. River is a blank and he checks so I check behind. He shows pocket sixes for the win and I am left wondering if this guy can just see right through my soul or something. First hand I play and this guy has a dead to rights read on me? Scary. Later on I see this guy call my bet after a K hits with K4 after I raised pre-flop with AK. He also came in way light on some other hands and did stuff like fold in disgust after calling and being shown third pair and stuff like that. I picked the wrong guy to bluff. Although in my hand I actually had two overs and any Spade so I was actually favored against pocket Sixes on the flop.

With my starting short stack crippled by my missed bet on the come, I limp in with 7c9c. Flop comes three Clubs K high. Nice! Seat 9 leads out, and Seat 2 calls. Time for me to clear out the chasers so I bump it up 25 more. Then first to act raises...hmmmm. Then back to Seat 2 who shoves! At this point I'm in so deep and short stacked that it is only another 15 or 20 so see how bad I'm losing. I even announce "well I'm paying someone off" and I figure there is a non-zero chance that someone flopped two pair or a low set. Nope. I'm up against EP's Qc4c and shovers 3c5c. THREE flopped flushes! We are both drawing dead and second nutters takes it down. Bigger stack and I'm folding but I donk off my spare change and reload.

Seat 2 gets replaced by n00b guy who can't even post blinds correctly. It is folded to him and when it gets to him he puts out another three on top of his post of two, clearly confused on what he is supposed to do. Gets to me with KK and I make it 20 to get this guy out. Gets back aound to him and he calls. Great. Flop is of course A high and I check, he checks. Turn is a blank and he throws out 10. I make a crying call. River is another blank and I forget if he checks or bets 5 or 10 but we get to showdown and he has Kd5d which ended up being the nut flush draw though I doubt he understood that. Guy to my left commented on the bad flop. I reply with "No crap, worst flop ever."

That donk goes on to fund many another player's stack, mine included. I got into a hand with him where I had some strong hand and got a call from him on the flop and turn but couldn't coax a call out of him on the riv.

Another hand I make it 15 preflop with AK trying to shake off limpers, two callers. Flop is a relatively safe looking Ah Th Rag-off. I am ready to pot it and take it down in position. Check, then this dude in Seat 9 is double fisting his stacks massaging two towers of 50 as if he was warming them up. He fondles his bet for a while then brings both stacks forward in usison to overbet the pot by a factor of two. I sit and mull over the situation. From previous play I'm fairly sure he is not ahead in the hand. We have approximately even stacks of 200 after I've dug myself out of a hole and gotten even and I'm not looking for a high variance hand right now. I'm only 15 deep and there is no way I'm getting out of this hand without putting it all in at some point so I just muck and decide to pick a better spot. He shows two Broadway Hearts for a gutter to the Royal which gives him 12 outs and a rough coin flip to my made hand. Odd play and I'm fine with getting out of that hand.

Later on I'm in another hand with the same guy. I limp UTG with TT. Two seats down a guy raises to 13. Hulky guy calls. I may well be out front right now anyway and I call looking to flop an overpair or nail a set. Flop comes T high, just what the doctor ordered. I make it 20 on the flop and the pre-flop raiser looks at me. We are both pretty solid and have been staying out of each others way. He probably missed his AK but reads strength from me and folds. Big guy calls. NO idea what he's drawing to but he's been chasing all night. Turn is low and I think might have made some weird gutter straight. I lead out 35. He flat calls. Hmmm. River is a Q him and I bet 60 hoping that he has an KQ-ish hand but he thinks a while and then folds. In retrospect I think maybe a check to him to sell AT that was afraid of the overcard so he could stab at it and I could raise him. Oh well. I take down the pot. Orig raiser put me on bottom set of Treys and was surprised when I show him top set.

Guy to my immediate left is friendly and a chaser too. He does his second straddle of the night and decide to complet the straddle bet from the BB with 5s6s. He checks and we're three handed. Flop is 6d3d6h. I lead out for 10 into a pot of 12. Straddler has seen me enough to fold. Button calls. Hmmmmmm. I was ready to take down a small pot right there and now I need to range this guy. I'd feel better boating up since I am in deep kicker yogurt. Turn is a non Diamond Seven to give me a gutter to go along with trips. I lead out for 25 and figure he'll go away now. Nope. Straight and a Flush draw out there so I hope the river is a blank...instead I get the Case Six in my late Xmas stocking. I size up the guy's short stack and grab an aribtrary amount to roughly match his stack. 55 is the bet and that would leave him with about 15 to 20 left. He asks if I liked that Six and I make a comment about making my Flush. He's in the tank now and I ask if he has a boat though I am positive he must have one or else he wouldn't be thinking this hard. He finally calls and I show my hand. He mucks but later explains he had 5d7d for a GSSFD and all of the peripheral lesser hands that that entails. After the River boats him up he promotes to Sixes full of Sevens and is only behind my six or pocket Sevens. He said he couldn't put me on an overpair so that is whyh he called.

I'm up to about 375 to give me some sugar after climbing out of the hole. I nit up and blind off a few more chips. Raise in EP with AK to 11 and get like six callers. Flop is QJ high and guy two to my left bets it. Desperation call from short stack who is covered by the bet. Everyone else gets out of the pool. Turn is a K and I get ROTty but shorty turns over AT after the K fills his gutter.

I'm down to 360 and decide that is a nice round number so I cash out and hang out with Marsh over at his table and chat with Jason and MB. That session brings me basically even for the trip.

No comments: