Thursday, April 5, 2007

Don't go broke with one pair

It's so silly how those donkeys think that their overpairs are always good. Count me as one of those donks. Bought in for 200 but the key hand was when I picked up Kings. Made it 12 to go and two players called. Seat 1 was standard issue tourist. Seat 3 to my immediate right was severly odd. Raising 40 into a pot of just blinds. Crazily overplaying his hands. Anyway, he calls and here we go. Flop is clear of Aces. J 7 8. Seat 1 checks and Seat 3 make it 40 to go. Which is about pot sized. I figure he caught his Jack so I make it 100 to go. Seat 1 folds. Seat 3 moves all in and I'm fairly sure I'm behind now. I make a crying call for the remaining 40 or so in his stack and he flips over 9c Tc for a perfectly flopped straight. I have runner runner Quad and Full House outs but they don't come and I double him up. Then the worst part is he leaves before I can extract "my" chips back. That didn't go so well.

I have a small stack and out table gets broken up so I move to another table and sit next to Five Day Shadow Guy from the table that just broke up. He's a cool dude and we chit chat about poker. I add on $200 more and before too long I see a flop with Ks Ts. Flop comes 2s Js Q?. I am now sitting on an open ended nut straight and four to the King high flush. The bet is 10 to me. I call. Seat 1 check-raises to 30, Seat 2 calls, and I call too. Turn is a King. I now have all of the above plus top pair. Seat 1 makes it 80 to go. Seat 2 calls. I take both stacks of reds and shove them in but mistakenly leave behind my 1s and 2s for blinds so I'm not all in yet. That was the 80 call plus another 60 or so with the implication that I may have already made my Broadway striaght or a higher two pair or whatever was out against me plus my outs of any Spade, Nine, or Ace and potentially Tens also. All seemingly clean outs. Seat 1 calls and Seat 2 finally calls off the dogs. River comes a non-Spade Ten and I think I may have just trumped a lower two pair. I throw in my last 5 chips and Seat 2 makes a crying call knowing that any random Ace makes a Straight but his pocket 2s have weathered the onslaught and he pulls down a huge pot. "Priced in all the way" echoes through my empty chip stack area. Oh well.

I tack on yet another $200. Now I am starting to donk chips by seeing too many flops even though a bunch of flops were being limped. That cuts off a stack or so. Then Seat 2 raises to 9 and I call with AKos. I am wary of catching my Ace because so many players keep any Ace that the danger of Top Pair Top Kicker running into two pair is something I've seen all to often. Flop comes out K 4 7. Seat 2 bets out a pot sized-ish bet and I call figuring that he has a worse King and I'm good. Turn is a seemingly blank 8 and he leads out 40. I want to shut this down so I re-raise he re-raises again and I'm stuck trying to figure out how I'm beat as I call off my last bit of my stack. He raised with 56 and bet on the come on the flop then caught on the turn. Didn't see that one from the pre-flop raise. Ouch.

I burn through another $100 again seeing too many flops. But at least I'm not chasing draws! Mostly because there aren't any draws since I'm missing the board so badly.

Add on another $100 and start playing some more but decide to play the 11:00 pm tournament when it is announced that there are still seats left. So I take my remaining $80 and stick it in my pocket. I'm down $1088 now and need to shape up. On to the tourney!

1 comment:

jtrey333 said...

Ouch, some of those beats are just mean! I must say, you are providing me with some great entertainment from Austin. Glad you are blogging about your trip, otherwise I might not have anything to look forward to reading...

I am glad to see that you are playing to get some money into the pots with premium hands. I would've played many of your hands the way that you've played them.