Monday, April 9, 2007

Last chance to get unstuck (didn't happen)

First stack I limp into a pot with Ah 9h. Flop is T 9 little card. The inevitable continuation bet comes and gets a call from another player and myself. Turn comes a nine to trip me up. Original bettor makes it 15, fold from innocent bystander. I raise and make it 45 to go. The
bad guy looks up the board and pauses a little then calls the extra 30. At this point I have 30 or so left and I am committed to this pot. If I just pumped the pot for a made full house then so be it. But I am going on the assumption that they have top pair so unless the river pairs tens, I'm shipping them in. River is a Jack and we get the money in. He flips over 87os for the winning straight. I commend him for a well played hand. Turns out the extra Nine is a blank as far as his hand is concerned and a Ten on the river would have actually won me the hand had I called on the river. Time for a rebuy.

The table is great though, a couple real characters at the table especially Copper in Seat 5. Ran into Miss Skinny Donor again. I've been at her table a few times over the weekend. Never seen her leave with money. She'll post a bill, see some flops, get short stacked, get in involved in some lotto hand, double up, then donk off some more, get felted then post another bill. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Seat 4 raises pre-flop and I pick up As8s and join in. Flop comes A88. Not bad. He leads out and I smooth call. Turn is a blank, he checks, and I check behind trying to figure out how he can catch up so I can stack him. River is a jack and he makes an over-hyped "all-in!". I ask to confirm that he is all in and insta-call only to find myself on the wrong end of a house over house hand when he opens his hand to show pocket Jacks. Again, this is one I should have thought through. Fantastic second best hand but I have to ask myself what I am beating that someone would jump all in like that with. Pre-flop raise from him should have alerted me to a possible AA or JJ. I thought that the flop hit me in the face but the "side card" of the full house is largely irrelavant. About the only thing I was beating was an overly ambitious AJ to two pair. He actually did push all in with AJ on an A 9 2 board later and got called by a guy with A9os and doubled him up. Another hand he did the same push on Miss Skinny Donor. River came a Jack of Clubs on a paired board. He pushed and she hadn't seen enough of his play to get away from the second nut flush that the river brought her. Anyway, add Full House to the list of other hands that I've lost with this weekend.

Opened up my game to adjust for the table and entered some pots with suited connectors and gappers. If I had one of those hands or a pocket, I'd see a flop. Probably 3/4 of the flops were limped around so it allowed for great play. Really connected with some flops and led the betting to build the pot and took down some big ones.

Had Q9 in Spades and caught a flop of KQ9. Good and bad. Still very very aware of the possibility that someone flopped perfect on me since JT is such a common hand for people to start with. I lead out 10 as a prober, three callers. Turn is a blank and I check. Checks around. River pairs my Queen and I'm positive that I'm good. Lead out and get no action but take down the pot. Turns out everyone else just had gutshot straights that didn't materialize. I had to tread lightly because that flop was dangerous. I was also in danger of a KQ higher two pair. Note to self, have to try to keep gaps close. I will not do Q8 and I'm going to need to add Q9 to the list.

I call a raised pot with AQos. Flop comes Ace high and I know I'm already golden. One of them *might* have AK but I doubt it because so many players down here treat AK like they were Aces and pre-flop didn't tell me that. Not drawy board. Miss Skinny Donor leads out. I call and so does Seat 8. Turn is a Q and I'm doubly good now, even up against AK which now I really wish someone has. Seat 9 leads again for more and I smooth call as does Seat 8. River blank. Seat 9 slows down and just wants to see where her Ace is at now. I min raise to 30. Get a visually crying call from Seat 8 and Seat 9 can't not call off $15. Top two pair are good and I take down a healthy pot. including $50 back from Seat 8 that I paid her on the turn and river to confirm that I was indeed out-kicked. Stupid calls they were. Board paired and gave me a chance at a split with my crappy Ace.

Miss Hawaii sits to my left in Seat 2 and she's a donor too. Try to get involved in a big pot with her because she is also in buy-donk-rebuy mode but can't find the right pot to do so with. She's nice though so I donated to her cause when she pushed all in with a short stack. She'll either quadruple up or re-buy, either is good for me and the table. Flop misses me and I go away. She shows me her hand and he has Js 9s and flopped a Nine high two Spade board. She is in really good shape. Turn brins the third Spade and Seat 4 is pushing all in. I know she's done now. Seat 4 has not shown down any small suited connectors so he's either playing Ace-x suited or a high connector. Since she has J9 that rules out anything but KQ which is exacly what he showed to win the pot. Turn out she would have been better off not catching her flush because river came another 9 and would have taken down the pot.

Got involved in another pot where I had Qh Jh (this was before I wised up about two gappers). Flop comes out 8 high and two Hearts. Round of flop bets to buid the pot. Turn is a non-Heart Ten. Checked to me and I snap off the action with a push holding two overs, inside striaght to then nuts and four to the flush. Plenty of outs in case some decides to call. No resistance and I take down another pot.

A bit of fluctuation in stacks as pots were either limped around and basically checked through all streets or built fairly large.

Despite my best efforts to get stuck an even 2 Large for the trip. I do end up cashing out for $120 when I have to leave to go to the airport. Shake hands with Copper who has since moved to Seat 8 to change his luck.

No comments: