Thursday, April 5, 2007

OK so that tourney didn't go so well

$80 buy in for 1500 in chips with starting blinds of 25/50. $50 rebuy/add-on for an additional 3000 in chips. I know I am definitely going to go the whole $130 but decide to parcel it out in two sections.

Sit tight for a while trying to size up the table. Seat 3 is a bully. I'm in Seat 7. Seat 6 is talking about winning another tourney. First orbit and Seat 9 is still not there so I try to steal the BB with a raise to 150. Seat 8 in the SB calls. Hey, that's now how it's supposed to happen. I check the King high flop. He checks. Board pairs Treys on the turn and I bet a couple hundred. He folds. Perfect. I'm above water.

I pick up Ah Qh and bump to 150. Get re-raised to 350. I call to see a flop. Flop comes out Jack high and Seat 2 examines the non-drawing board and checks. I continue with a 500 bet. He calls. I'm done with this hand. Turn comes out a rag and he pushes all in. I fold. He shows pocket Aces. That was the third pocket aces in the first ten minutes including two in the first two hands. That hand cripples my stack. In retrospect I realize that he had limp/re-raised. Missed that. Plus he did such a good job of selling that he missed the flop he deserves 500 for that...I guess.

I'm short stacked now and just looking to get some momentum. I pick up Ac 5c and limp in. Flop is J 5 2 and it is checked around to me. I stab 150. Seat 6 raises to 300. I don't have that much more and push in knowing I need to get lucky or I'll just rebuy. He shows J5 for top two pair and I don't improve.

Rebuy for 3000 more. I pick up Ac J? and pay 3xBB to see a flop. Flop is 2c 3c 4c. Seat 6 leads for 200. I'm wary and just call. Seat 4 calls too. Non club Queen comes off on the turn. Seat 6 200 again. I call. Seat 4 pushes. Call. Fold. He shows Kc Q?. Seat 6 shows he had Q? and Jc. I should have re-raised on the flop with nut flush draw, straight draw, and two overs to the board. If a club had come off, I think that I could have at least doubled up, especially with the Kc out there. That dents me but I'm still doing OK.

Pay some 3xBB-ish raises pre flop with some Aces and Faces hands but don't connect. Sit and bide my time. Blinds go to 50/100 and my stack is down to about half strength now. I hang around until the break. After break it is 100/200 with 25 antes. Get into one hand with weak Seat 8. I'm in the SB and it only costs me another 50 to see a flop and he never raises in BB. We check through all streets and I notch him T9 to T8 with the 9 as the last card playing to pick up blinds and antes for another orbit. I'm looking for a chance to move in first with anything decent but either someone beats me to it, including a guy that pushes twice in about 5 hands with Jacks. Or my hand is so ridiculous that I can't push with good conscience, even though Dan Harrington is yelling in my ear to push with any two cards. Blinds are eating me alive.

I finally get a hand that resembles something with potential. 9T suited in Hearts. Unfortunately there was a previous raise to 600. I figure I'm going to need to get lucky and middle suited connectors are my best defense against high pockets so I push for 1075 into a pot with the 600 + 200 BB + 100 SB + 225 in antes = 1125 knowing that I'm going to get a call for the remaining 575. I make a post oak speech about "Well I guess it's time for me to get lucky." I'm praying that he has Aces or Kings and he turns over pocket freaking Tens! I shake my head in disgust. The worst kind of domination. Flop a Nine but cannot improve.

I in my blue pin-stripe suit take the walk of shame across the strip back to the room.

Time for a nap. Current balance: -$368.

No comments: