Monday, May 28, 2007

A big blind's worth of sugar

After a while of being in "the zone" (not the Donk Zone) the cards started cooling off. A haze had started to settle in and the pokerness wasn't flowing as much so I tightened up to guard against donkage. Back when I was zoning, the cards were both more suited and connected. Flops were clearer. And chips were more flowing toward me. But those days are gone now. I saw a few flops that didn't hit.

Then I got into a seven way flop holding ATos on the button. Flop came out JQx and early position led out a weakish 10 which got called by three others and I could cap the betting with a gutshot to the nuts and a possibly good over card. Seat 5 was doing all the table talk for me saying that there is a gut shot and a KT open ender out against him. Turn comes an Ace and it checks around to me. I throw out a 60 (3/4-ish pot sized) bet. No one fought back and I take down a sizable pot.

One other hand of note was where I had pocket Nines and rivered a 9 which also completed a possible single card straight. Occasional maniac from the 8 seat puts a nice and tidy little 100 bet on the end. Options would be to fold, call, or raise which would essentially be a push for me though I think a pure min-raise would show more strength. I stand up to inspect the board and make sure I am reading it correctly and the occasional maniac had recently shown down a similar single card straight hand and collected a bill for his troubles. I fold.

I ask the table about how when I should leave to catch a 10:45 flight. 7 seat who was playing with the deaf guy and me last night said he is a cabbie and that lines are going to be hellish. Be in the cab line by 8:20 he said. I played a few more rounds and as my stack started to dwindle. I decided I'd play one more orbit until I was UTG again and that would leave me with one BB worth of sugar. As I got up from the table I wished everyone well. The cabbie said "come back soon". I turned around and said "I'll be back in two weeks..."

No comments: