Friday, May 25, 2007

A couple hours of origami

Hand selection is in full lockdown mode and I am living up to my table image in full. Blue pinstripe, white shirt with french cuffs, blue pattern tie. All business. I have either shown down or flashed AA, QQ twice, JJ, AK, AQ, or a pocket pair. I've managed my stack after felting the guy I caught top set on. Fold, fold, fold and I have no complaints. Sure I would have flopped trips twice in a row but I'm not playing junk hands right now.

I tinker with the idea of playing in the Noon tourney but decide against it. It is 80 to get in and 50 for rebuy/add-on. That's 130 and I want to make sure I cash for 599 or less to avoid having to fill out a tax form and have the IRS hold money back. But investing 130 up front and a few hours in an attempt to bust out or hope everyone agrees to a tax-friendly chop is just a little too much of a precision maneuver for my tastes.

Not much on the action front. Smooth call with QQ after a raise to 10 isolates. Flop comes K high and it is checked to me by frat boy. I know he is smart enough to not get out of line against me especially after our first run in. I check behind. Turn comes a Jack and he leads out. I call. River blank and he checks. I put him on catching the Jack and know my Queens are good. I check behind and he sees that he is beat and mucks.

Pocket Fours with a 722 flop. Checked around. Turn comes another 7 and Ivan is being a Stabby McStaberson and throws 10 more in. I call and I know that he will check the river now as is his pattern. I put him on A high for two pair top kicker. River comes an 8 and he checks. I show Sevens and Fours and take the pot.

Sidebar here. It's funny how many people you recognize from previous trips. Not too shocking really since poker players only have so many places to go I suppose but still a little bit of a surprise when someone you saw back during Martini-con in January walks in and sit at the next table. I mean really, what are the odds?

Anyway, another hand I call a pot raised to 12 which goes three way. Flop is all low and it checks around to me. I bet about pot sized and take it down. Show Tens to further confirm my tight honest image.

I limp into a pot with JsTs. I flop top pair and Seat 8 leads 15, no problem, I call. Turn is a 6. Seat 8 thows out 100. What? I am tempted to look him up but he has only done that move twice in the time that I've been at the table and I will concede that he may have caught a random two pair but I am also ready to look him up under the right circumstances because that bet was way out of line.

Cards are drying up and I'm at just about 200% of buy-in. I'm on a steady keel and apart from worrying about someone flopping perfect on my second best possible hand, I haven't really had any difficult decisions. I'm playing by the book straight up conservative poker. No chasing, no betting on the come, no bluffs. Just solid grinder Poker 101 and it has been working for me. When I've been ahead, I've stayed ahead. Keeping the game under control. I'm not tired but am going to take a lunch break and nap to stay in good form.

What's for lunch? Well today is something completely different: Special Fried Rice and a Gatorade to stay hydrated...TO GO! Yes, no one can say that I don't mix up my game from time to time.

So I am walking through the Caesar's gaming area and I hear "Excuse me but do you work here?" I turn around and see an elderly Chinese woman and I tell her no I don't but is there anything I can help her with? She says she is looking for the Flamingo. I tell her that I am going there and I can show her exactly how to get there. She thanks me and tells me all about her family re-union. I tell her all about the great bachelor party I am attending. I walk her to the garden area that she wants to check out (she's actually a very fast walker for being what I'd guess as 70 years old) and she thanks me again. I tell her that I'm just building up good karma points for later.

OK. My food is gone and I think that just about covers all the newsworthy items for the past couple hours. Next session I'm thinking of going to the Wynn because they chip you with stacks of 3 dollar chips. And I think the resemblance to my home games would be fun and interesting. Nap time. More later.

2 comments:

jtrey333 said...

Yes, bachelor parties! I love bachelor parties! Let me know how that party is... maybe the one you're attending in two weeks will be almost as good.

On a serious note, get more aggressive and pushy! You started out pushing a bit preflop and on the flop, and now you're check calling again. On the QQ, if your read is that frat boy has a Jack, value the river! I don't necessarily mind the check call on the turn, but when he checks on the river, you know you can get at least an extra 15 on the end from frat boy. Also, on that hand, even if you are isolated, sweeten the pot a bit or push harder. QQ is a premium hand, so bet it like one... wouldn't have hurt to raised it to 20 or 25 there, and you know frat boy is likely to call with a worse hand than you.

Remember, you're Martin XP, not '98! Once I see more progress, I might upgrade you to Service Pack 1, but at this rate, your play has been ok... but I know you have it in you to make your premium hands pay off much better!

test accnt said...

You should have played the QQ faster preflop. But if you are winning, and being steady about it, I can live with that.

Also, cool that you ran into Grace and were nice enough to walk her to the flamingo.. HAHAHAH

jk