Friday, May 25, 2007

Flopping perfect, my turn

After returning from break, I bought the button and saw a limped pot for "free". Nibbled around the edges looking to find a place to jump in. Found a couple of small to medium pockets that I was able to see a flop cheaply with. Didn't connect and I let them go. Speculated with As9s and caught a nut flush draw on the flop. It went check through all streets and some guy's random Jack caught on the river to take the pot down.

Have been fairly selective about my hands. Folded AKos to a re-raise once. Turns out the re-raiser had AJ. He out flopped me but he gave a free card and I would have caught him on the turn. But I'm OK with the fold. He min-reraised and I didn't want the headache of knowing if AK is up versus AA or KK since that could be a lot of trouble. Tight fold but I wasn't invested in the pot.

Grandpa in Seat 1 has been raising a lot of pots and buying them after the flop with continuation bets. He opens for 15. I have KhJh and call. Then Seat 9 pushes in for 63 total. Grandpa thinks about it then calls. Now it is back to me and I feel like I am not ahead right now and Grandpa has me well covered. I fold. Grandpa shows Pocket 8s and Seat 9 shows ATos. I would have flopped the best hand and made a boat by the river but I folded when I was still behind. My assessment was correct of a race between pocket pairs and A/Face. Seat 1 actually came in lighter than I had thought and I suspected domination. Good laydown.

Later on Grandpa again opens for 15 and I again call with KhJh. Heads up to the flop and it comes down AdQdTh for glorious Broadway. I'm first to act and there is 30+ in the pot. I purposely open with an underbet of 10. As expected, Grandpa raises it up to 40. I've seen enough and I push all in before a scare card kills the action. I raise it 65 more back to him. He sits and thinks a little while then cuts out chips for a call. I ask him if he has a Diamond draw and he flips over Ace/rag for a super thin draw to a runner runner boat. Turn throws another Queen and the River is a Jack so my straight holds up. Glad I got the money in before the board developed more. I double up.

Brandon Ditto's doppleganger sits in to Seat 6. This is the same guy who was playing on Easter weekend and flopped J7 top two pair against a guy who Limped with Aces. When the guy with rockets got in a raising war, Ditto put him exactly on Aces and called it out before he showed. They got both stacks of I'd guess 400 each into the middle and the limper spiked one of the two remaining Aces on the river to put this guy into over-tilt. He left the table for an hour or so walking that one off. He's a table bully and I was ready to pack it in for the night anyway so I am waiting for the button to come around to cash out.

Same orbit, I limp in with 4d5d. Flop is 44Q two suited. Can't hammer the pot because there is only 9 in there from three limpers. I put out 5. Call, call. Hmmmm. Turn puts out a Ten and I figure I'm still good so I throw out 15. Call, call. And what comes along on the river but good ol' worst card ever, another Queen. Ditto checks, I check, Button checks. I show sucker end of the full house. Brandon shows AK suited. Button caught the turn with his random Ten. Scoop another one.

Last hand I limp in with KQos and flop top two pair. Throw 10 at the pot and take that down before walking to the cashier to cash out.

Bought in twice and cashed out for 245. Still above water overall but wondering how I could have played those Tens differently. That one hand dented me pretty hard and I ignored the "don't go broke with one pair" mantra. But apart from that one hand, I feel I'm doing OK. I am being very conscious about how I am playing. I am choosing hands carefully. Only chased one open ender for 10 bucks after the flop. I'm satisfied with my play so far. Haven't gotten too out of line and am sticking with the game plan.

OK, time to catch some sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yo, homey. we want to know if your in casual mode or formal mode. Did you bring your hat?