Monday, March 17, 2008

Patience grasshopper

I was patient. Very patient. Extremely patient. Painfully patient. Over a hundred bucks patient.

You ever go to the candy store and watch the other kids munch on all of their chocolatey morsels and chew on their gobstoppers and drown themselves in sugary delights while you are waiting in line for your turn? And nothing you can do will make the line go any faster? And the other kids are practically drowning in excesses of dessert goodness? Welcome to my world.

Play was horrendous. Big fish at the table. One Asian dude just would...not...fold...period...end of story. He plowed through what must have been at least ten bills in the two or three hous he was there. Un-fricken-believable. Five overcards and a possible straight? No problem. I will call with my pocket Fours. Gimme some of that! But I was simply not getting anything playable. I open up the playbook so I can get involved in a pot with some of these guys. Ax suited. Any combo of Ace-paint. Any pair. Any suited connector. But the well is dry as the Las Vegas dessert air. I literally blind off about 80 in chips (1/3 at a nine handed table speeds up the erosion) waiting for something, anything to play and connect. Pocket Nines were my biggest pair. Limped with small pairs that didn't hit. No Flush draws to even chase.

Seat 9 even says "Excuse me sir, what kind of cards DO you play?" which gets a chuckle from the table. I reply that I am just not getting any cards. Shortly thereafter I finally go with a JTos and even jokingly make a point to show him that I am playing a hand. Then the guy to my left raises it to 12 and I call the extra 9. Actually flop an open ender but fold to a bet when the Q pairs on the turn. All I need is one hand and I know I will get paid the whole way to the river but the cards just don't cooperate.

I finally punch out after getting down to my original 100 and decide to take a nap.

No comments: