Saturday, March 15, 2008

Safecracker

We got our room keys and it turns out the room safe was left locked by the previous guest. We call it in and since there needs to be a guest in the room in for them to take care of it, I volunteer to wait behind while Chris and Ray meet up with the rest of the crew. Security showed up first, checked my ID then came back later with maintenance. While I was waiting I was pleased to find out that trying to hack the entry code results in having a thirty second (or minute?) timeout between attempts to thwart brute force attacks. When security returned with the maintenance guy I was suprised to see a complete replacement safe being wheeled into the room and the maintenance guy pulling the wardrobe away from the wall to completely swap the units. A hassle for them I'm sure but a policy which probably saves them a lot of grief in the end. Turns out the did not swap our unit out since it was only a sticky dead bolt and not a completely malfunctioning safe. Even though they had pulled it out and had a replacement ready to go. Oh well. At least the room safe works now and Ray can lock up his My Little Pony good luck charm that he always brings to golf outings.

No comments: