Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Session 13d

I am looking for my spots and posting blinds. Then I pick up AKos. I raise it to 8 and get one caller from solid guy in the corner. Flop is AK9 and I lead out for ten then he raises me to 30. Huh? Interesting. I go over the possibilities and immediately discard AA or KK. Nines? Maybe but I think far more likely is A9 or another AK. I process the hand and I decide I am at worst chopping so I toss in my stack and say "OK, let's chop it up. We probably have the same hand." The absense of insta-call is music to my ears. He is in the tank now. He is looking back at his cards and really has a tough decision on his hands. I immediately gravitate my read to A9. He really doubts that he can be good but has a tough laydown in front of him and he had already made another really tough laydown with trip Nines a few orbits ago. He starts to move his cards toward the muck and I start to inch mine closer to the middle as well. He asks if I would show him and I apologized profusely and told him that my friends JUST reamed me out for showing cards and that I can't show him. He only has about 40 behind and I can tell the curiosity is just killing him. He draws his cards back a little and I reverse direction and inch mine back toward my stack. He looks at his stack again and then asks again if I would show to which I make a motion towards his stack. He finally reluctantly announces "fold" and mucks his cards while calling my hand exactly. "You're a real solid player and have been showing down quality hands so I can't be good here." I apologized again about not being able to show him and guessed he had A9 and he said no. Then I asked if he had an Ace in his hand figuring maybe he liked AQ but that was wrong too. "K9" he says which explains everything about the hand. I tell him that was a tough laydown.

That gets my stack healthier and I am creeping back to even for the session. Within a couple of orbits I limp in with 8c9c and catch a Flop of QJT two Diamonds. I lead out for a pot sized 10. Decent gal two seats down raises me to 30. Uh oh. Me no likey this situation. Folds around to me so at least I know I am only up against one other person this time. I tank it and just cannot put her on AK in a limped pot. I also don't think she is playing it so aggressively. K9 is haunting me and I cannot dismiss that possibility either. She's definitely not on a Diamond semi-bluff. It MUST be two pair or at worst TT for bottom set but I'm positive it's two pair. I re-raise her to 80 and the table is riveted by the play of the hand. No insta-call so I know I'm good here. I even start speeching about "I am pretty sure we're chopping this one up" to try to sell her on the AK hand just in case she did have K9 and I need her to fold. She asks how much I have left behind and I count out about 60 and change with which I'm insta-calling if she shoves. She has her head in her hands and looks at her cards again. Her body language finally expresses a "screw it" and she puts me all in. I call. Dealer runs the board and a 9 comes off on the Turn. Ugly. River is a blank. I throw out my cards and she can't even process what I have until the dealer tells her I have a Straight. And she then wonders aloud if I got there with the 9 and she has it explained to her that I flopped it. SHIP IT! That hand doubles me up + and gives me over a stack of sugar for the session. The K9 guy was saying that he thought I had AK and I told him that's what she was supposed to think. She even said that she thought I might have the Straight and even says she had top two pair and "outs, a LOT of them." Well, if you mean at most four J's or Q's or runner runner Tens to boat up and the runner runner chop outs then yeah I guess so.

I go into ultra hibernation nit mode and fold everything for a couple orbits then grab a rack to tell the table that I'm leaving soon. I take my free hands and fold AcJc under the gun because I just wanted to get the heck out of there. A bit of a nerve wracking session with some tough decisions for me but my head was clear and making the right reads and the right decisions.

100 + 100 > 312

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Nice work. I don't know about making the "chop it up" comment to the first guy, given how borderline he was about shoving, I think he comes along there if you don't make the "I have AK" comment.

That being said, I appreciate that you at least used that comment later for deception, except that the deception was specifically to get K9 to fold. Maybe that works if that's what she's on, but that's doubtful, and in all other cases, it might have the reverse effect of prompting someone behind you to fold.

Nice job on the no-show with AK, too.

"He only has about 40 behind and I can tell the curiosity is just killing him."

:) That's why I think it's so important, especially at a long session against strangers at 1/2 in Vegas. Never showing encourages bad curiosity calls, which is exactly what your style wants. Make them PAY to learn that, yes, you always have it.